St. Andrew's RC Church Presbytery
Tyne and Wear
St Andrew’s was the first public Roman Catholic church to be established in Newcastle after the Reformation (1798). Initially it served the whole of Tyneside right down to South Shields. The first parish priest was Fr James Worswick who also initiated the building of St Mary’s Catholic Cathedral and several other prominent Catholic churches in the area. Worswick Street was named after him after his death.
The original St Andrew’s was extended many times as the Catholic population in Newcastle expanded. The present church was opened in 1875, slightly further down the hill from the original church. It is a good example of a mid-Victorian Catholic church with a high wooden ceiling and stone walls. There are a several good stained glass windows and traditional statues of saints. It is Grade 2 Listed. The attached Presbytery (not open) dates from slightly earlier (1863) and is believed to have been designed by E W Pugin. Even though not many people live within the parish boundary, the church is very well attended at the daily and Sunday services and provides a meeting place for many community activities.
|Open all year, 9am to 4pm. Services on Sundays and at Noon other days.|
Hover your cursor over the symbol see the facility name or view the key to facility symbols.
Tyne and Wear