High Street North
St Mary’s was built in 1851 to cope with the growing population due to the local mining expansion. It was designed by George Pickering, Clerk of Works at Durham Cathedral, who also designed several other local churches (including Blaydon and Croxdale and the redesigning of Kirk Merrington church). On completion it was described as "...an unassuming, though neat and commodious structure in the Early English style".
The church has a simple interior with a main aisle and a single side chapel in the north aisle. The current interior dates in large part to the beginning of the 20th century when the then Rector did much to beautify the church. Of particular note is the Chancel Screen and Reredos.
|Keyholder information on noticeboard by church door.|