St. Edwin’s Church is a Grade 11* listed building. It occupies a dramatic site on the top of a cliff (Coniscliffe means the King’s Cliff), on the north bank of the River Tees. Parts of the church date from the 12Century but it was enlarged to its present size in the 13th Century.
In the walls there are seven pieces of sculpture dating from before the Norman conquest of 1066. The tower dates from the 13th Century and the spire from the 14th Century. The spire is one of only four octagonal spires in the region. Inside the north porch is a re-set 12th Century arch brought from the south side of the nave. Above the arch is a rectangular carved panel with a carving of the "Agnus Dei", the Lamb of God. Above are the letters ‘AGNU’, and on either side stand angels in long robes, with outstretched wings, trampling underfoot a pair of serpents. Although sometimes described as a Saxon stone, this may be Roman, from the nearby Roman Fort of Piercebridge. Inside the church there is a beautiful pointed chancel arch of early English or Traditional style, also a very attractive series (‘arcade’) of five arches separating the nave from the north aisle.
The Choir stalls are 15th Century and have good carved "poppy heads". The vestry was re-built in the 15th Century and probably at this time the upper apartment was added. This higher room was the home of the chantry priest, employed to say prayers for the souls of the dead.
|Keyholder info on the Lychgate notice board.|
Hover your cursor over the symbol see the facility name or view the key to facility symbols.