Tyne and Wear
The three chancel windows were completed by 1912 by James Eadie-Reid. They are technically very interesting, revealing an experimental attitude to the craft of stained glass. They depict the Feeding of the Five Thousand and the Changing of Water into Wine, and the Transfiguration of Christ. The War Memorial Windows at the west end were unveiled in 1948. The left window left shows St Michael sheathing his sword having overcome evil. In the right window the ascended Christ blesses this victory. At the feet of Christ are Flanders poppies. This window also shows the "crown" emblem of All Saints, and the St Cuthbert’s Cross of Durham. These were amongst the early work of Leonard Evetts. The colourful Good Shepherd window can be found on the west wall of the church, just inside the main entrance. The window was created by Leonard Evetts and is amongst his latter pieces. The painting which dominates the chancel is entitled the Transformation Scene.
Preliminary sketches for the murals were exhibited in London, and attracted wide interest. Painted in 1966 by Michael Hoare, the murals depict the crucified and enthroned Christ flanked by angels. The spandrel paintings on the south side of the Nave are by James Eadie-Reid. They depict Jesus’ agony in the garden of Gethsemane, the resurrection and an angel appearing to Mary at the empty tomb. In the south aisle hang three framed paintings depicting the same subjects which were used to provide the PCC with an indication of the finished pieces.
Open daily between 9.30am and 3.30pm (including Bank Holidays) Monday to Saturday.
Closed between Christmas and New Year.
Hover your cursor over the symbol see the facility name or view the key to facility symbols.
Tyne and Wear