Tyne and Wear
Consecrated in 1668 by John Cosin, bishop of Durham, the original plain cross shaped building was built on the orders of Oliver Cromwell’s commissioners to replace the ruined parish church within Tynemouth Castle. It has grown considerable over 350 years and has a light, spacious and airy Georgian interior. The great east windows (1952) are some of Dr Leonard Evetts largest stained glass windows and the ‘Lifeboat’ window in the Seamen’s Chapel was one of his favourite masterpieces. The screen of the chapel is topped by 2 original 18th C sailing ship models. The massive west tower, added in 1786, houses the first ring of 10 bells in Northumberland and Durham. The original 6 were first rung for Queen Charlotte’s official birthday in 1788. The elegant Regency font for 1805 is a rare example made from wood. The stocks hang under the west gallery and were used as a punishment by the churchwardens as late as 1832. The organ in the west gallery was purchased second-hand in 1794 from Vauxhall Gardens, London and has been much added to. In 1984 a fully equipped modern Parish Centre was built on to the 18th C vestries on the north side of the church.
|Open all year.|
Church open Tuesdays to Fridays via Parish Centre between 10am and 2pm. We recommend appointments so as to ensure no clashes with services or meetings.
For appointments contact Mr Michael Scott (01912577742) or Sue Kirsopp 01912586653.
Hover your cursor over the symbol see the facility name or view the key to facility symbols.
Tyne and Wear